Monday, August 26, 2013

How To Get The Haircut You Want

Hi! So this is a random post that came to my mind. As a cosmetologist I know what it is like to be on both sides of the chair. I've had stylists do everything from "Did I even get a hair cut?" to " I said a trim and now my hair is 5 inches shorter." Honestly the bad haircuts are from just not enough of a consultation and communication. I won't lie sometimes the person cutting your hair is to blame because they lack skill, don't care, or whatever the reason. With that said if at any point you don't feel comfortable or feel you and the stylist aren't on the same page don't be afraid to leave. Most stylists want you to be happy with your hair even if that's not with them. Anyways on to the actual tips.
 
1. PICTURES! I cannot stress this enough. Pictures are ideal because it shows what you want. You can bring as many as you want quite honestly. I LOVE when clients bring pictures. It gives us a starting point.
For example you could be like I really like the length and layers of this cut.
 
But I want my bangs to look like this.
 
It doesn't hurt to bring pictures of things you don't want too. Whatever you think will help communicate what you want. This is also a good idea for getting your hair color.
 
2. Have realistic expectations. I haven't had this happen very often but occasionally someone will come in and want something that just won't work. So have a backup plan in case your original plan won't work. Don't be afraid to ask questions about why it may or may not work for your hair.
 
3. Know how much work you are willing to put into your hair. Don't pick out a style that is going to need to have styling products and need to be round brush styled if you are a wash and go type of person. UNLESS you are willing to change that and put in the time to style it.
 
4. Go for just a consultation. I really recommend this if you are making a drastic change to your hair or if you are going to a new stylist. This way you get to talk to the stylist and find out ahead of time if this style will work for you and how they would cut it. That way the day of your appointment you can relax a little more.
 
5. If you get a haircut you love ask what they did. That way if for whatever reason you need to go to another stylist you can tell them what your last stylist did. For example I like my hair texturized. I don't like blunt ends and a good friend of mine texturized my hair so that I would get more volume because sometimes my hair can get a bit heavy. Now I pretty much always ask for it to be texturized. I haven't the last two times I got it cut but usually I do.  It's also not a bad idea to get a picture of your awesome haircut before you leave the salon so you have it as a reference for next time.
 
I hope these tips were helpful. These are a few I have found to be really helpful. I hope you guys enjoyed reading and I'll post something again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment